I've blogged about this meal before, but we had it last night for dinner so I decided to take pictures and make a full post about it. Warning: This is NOT a healthy meal at all ahah! I do what I can to make it a little bit healthier by using turkey hot dogs and I usually use homemade clean turkey chili I have on hand in the freezer if I have it [I did not last night]. This is my family's favorite meal. We probably have it a little too often... but I like to keep them happy =]
Chili Dog Casserole Ingredients
- Turkey Hot Dogs [we use the fit & active brand from Aldi]
- 2 cans of chili, or your own homemade chili if you have some on hand
- Fajita size flour tortilla shells
- 8oz shredded cheese, we like sharp cheddar on it
- Aluminum foil, to cover
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1) Spread 1 can of chili on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Last night I used a smaller one because I already have stuff in my 9x13s [I'll show you that soon aha]. I definitely recommend using the 9x13. The 7x11 I used last night was too small. I had to reeeeally squish them in tight.
2) Okay, after you spread the chili, you'll roll up a hot dog in a flour tortilla. Place that on top of the chili, seam side down. Continue until all the hot dogs are rolled up.
3) Now, you'll spread the second can of chili on top of the rolled up hot dogs, and add the cheese on top of that!
4) The next step is very important. You need to cover the dish with foil. You want to make sure you get it covered well, but try to pull the foil up in the center over the cheese. You don't want all the cheese stuck to the foil when you take it out of the oven!
5) Bake covered, in 425 degree oven for about 30mins.
Since mine were all squished in a smaller pan last night, I think I could have left it in the oven a little longer. You can see the spots where the cheese wasn't fully melted. It was still amazing as always though!
Here it is plated up. I always serve corn with it. Corn seems to be the perfect companion to this casserole. Jess and I will typically have a side salad as well, this is my son's plate though and he hates salad.
Well there ya have it! My family's favorite meal. NOT in the least bit healthy, but it's a good comfort food dish. It's a very quick meal to throw together, so it's great on busy nights. Very affordable too. I purchase all the ingredients at Aldi and it costs $6.00 to make the casserole. Not too shabby! ;) Now, most people will have leftovers of this casserole. 10 hot dogs with tortilla shells && chili is a lot of food! However, I have a 16yo boy in the home.... That kid is as skinny as can be, but can eat like a horse! This is why I like to find budget friendly meal options that make A LOT of food!
Let me know if you try it! Have you made something similar? Did you tweak the recipe? Leave a comment below!