I was craving sushi of any form at this point since it had been awhile since we had any. I do know how to make real sushi rolls, but come on... it's a lot of work lol. I remember seeing this idea floating around on the internet, so I gave it a go.
- Brown rice [you can use any rice you'd like, we chose brown rice]
- Imitation crab meat [chuck style]
- Cucumbers [I used a vegetable peeler to slice it into thin strips]
- Avocado [diced small]
- Bragg's Liquid Aminos [this is what we always use in place of soy sauce]
- Wasabi [if you'd like, aha]
It's pretty self explanatory. We cook our rice in a rice cooker. Once it was ready I let it cool down a little. Then construct your "California roll in a bowl" using the ingredients you prepared. Since you can't "dip" as easy as you could with a traditional "roll", we mixed the Liquid Aminos and wasabi in a separate bowl && poured it onto our food.
It was verrrryyy tasty! Jess wasn't a fan of the "healthier" brown rice, but what're you gonna do? It's hard to force someone to enjoy healthier options of food, aha!